Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Salsera of the Week

Audrey Richard-Dallas,TX

1.Tell us a little about yourself.
Born and raised in Dallas, TX. Grew up with father speaking english in the house and my mother speaking Spanish. Was first exposed to salsa in Mexico City when my cousins were jamming to Eddie Santiago - Salsa Romantica. I fell in love. Came back to Dallas and bought 2 of his cd's! I work in IT, yes I'm a bit of a nerd/geek. Want to travel and dance in every part of the world! Love meeting new people and dancing as a hobby makes it easy.

2.How long have you been dancing?
Music and dance have always been a big part of my life since my father was a musician and lead singer of his own band. I've been dancing all my life! But as far as dancing salsa on1, on2, bachata.......for about 3 yrs now.

3.What would you say to those beginning to dance or those interested in learning?
For those beginning to dance or interested.....just have fun! Go for it! It's one of the best ways to stay in shape and have fun while you're doing it! And.....always smile and enjoy every dance!

4.How would you compare the Dallas scene to the Salsa/Mambo scenes around the world ?
The Dallas scene is still small, but growing. It changes a lot of year to year, new faces come and old faces go and come back again. I love that you can dance anywhere in the world and it doesn't matter that you don't speak each other’s language. The language we do understand is "DANCE!!" It would be nice to see more unity so that the dancers aren’t so scattered all over Dallas every weekend.

5 Tell us one thing we may not know about Audrey?
I used to sing on the radio as a little girl with my father on his radio station – Country Western Music!

6. What style(s) of dance are your favorite?
Wow! That’s a tough one! I love salsa! I love Bachata! And now starting to love Kizomba! My first love was Hip-Hop!

7. What is your favorite type of music to dance to?
Salsa and Bachata and now Kizomba!!!! Oh and I still love HIP-HOP! Guess it just depends on the mood I’m in.

8. What does Salsa mean to you?
This is my stress release. This is how I let my hair down after a tough week at work, at home….whatever. Salsa has become my addiction! It’s brought so much fun into my life. It’s a worldwide language and it has given me the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people all over.

9. How has your life changed since you began your journey into Salsa?
You know if I feel like I just need to get away……I just go dancing! It takes me to another place. And it’s gotten me in SHAPE!!! When I first started dancing, I would dance one song and be so out of breath! I was like “I gotta start working out!” Been going to the gym consistently for the past 2 years and have completely changed my physique. I’m a new person now! I’m probably in the best shape of my life than I’ve ever been.

10. My life without Salsa would be________boring, fat and miserable!!! I gotta have my salsa fix every week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews