Friday, July 22, 2011

Salsera Of the Week


Sandy De Lara-Dallas,TX USA

1.Tell us a little about yourself..
I was born in Mexico and was raised in Dallas Texas. I absolutely love to dance, sing and act. Not very good singer and actress, so I stick to dancing! I have a precious 7 yr old boy and a wonderful husband. At the age of 5, I learned the traditional dance of my country (Folklorico). After that, I developed a want for diversity in dance. I continued to take classes and perform through my school years, that included Folklorico, ballet, Jazz, and modern.
When I graduated from school, I was introduced to a completely different style of dance…SALSA! From the second it entered my heart, my body desired to learn and grow more. Even though I have various styles of dance training, Salsa to me is unique and fulfills me in every way. I have been blessed with meeting many beautiful people around the United States that share the same passion. I currently enjoy teaching Salsa on1 at Sandunga Dance studio on Tuesday nights.

2.How long have you been dancing?
I have been dancing and performing since the age of 5.

3.What would you say to those beginning to dance or those interested in learning?
Always allow yourself to grow in dance without judgment. Be confident, as dance is like Art, and Art cannot be judged…Every form, level and style is beautiful. Dancing is the expression of our inner intentions in life; therefore, we should always enjoy and be brought to life every time we step on the dance floor.

4.Who are some of your favorite artists?
Hector Lavoe, Roberto Roena, Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Willie Colon, Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano, Ray Barretto, to name a few…

5.If you were given one wish, what place or venue would you love to dance at?
If I were given a wish to dance anywhere, it would be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington D.C…the White House for our President and First Lady.

6. What style(s) of dance are your favorite?
Flamenco, Tango, Cha cha cha, modern and of course… Salsa

7. What is your favorite type of music to dance to?
All Latin musica

8.Tell us about your classes.
I currently teach at Sandunga Dance Studio Starting at 7p for beginners, then 8p for intermediate/advance students. My classes are very technical for precision and exact timing execution. The style that I currently teach is Salsa on1 Sandy’s style…sharp, sexy, and with lots styling.

9. What does Salsa mean to you?
To me Salsa is a combination of very delicious, fresh, and hot instruments/rhythms that come together and become one for the dancer to enjoy. Salsa symbolizes the UNITY of dancers and performers of all ages and experience levels. It also shatters all cultural barriers when we all unite to dance under one roof. Just like salsa…lets all stick together, and enjoy every last bit of it.

10.How has your life changed since you began your journey into Salsa?
Salsa has had a tremendous impact on my life. After I graduated, I had no clue what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be. Until I was Blessed with running into Salsa. It was then when my life took a different course. As I mentioned earlier, the second it entered my heart and experienced the sensation of all its richness, I decided to grow and learn more! I immediately fell in love with the style and decided to dedicate part of my life to learning, teaching and performing. Salsa has definitely kept me very busy and out of trouble. Lol God willin, I will continue on my salsa journey…until my feet completely tire out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews